View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:21 AM

WOW I made it! All 198 pages--done! And it only took about a month to do.

Well this has been a pleasure, and this may be the single finest thread I've ever read. It was fun seeing the focus of the thread naturally evolve over time: first the dogged recreation of Bunker Hill, then it was about LA as seen through movies and publicity stunts, the occasional car wrecks, matchbook ephemera (probably my favorite mini-theme) and most recently focusing on a one Bert Rovere, restaurant menus and newspaper clippings..... for someone who has spent all of about 40 hours in Los Angeles, I feel like I know her like an old friend.

Now although I've only been in town for two days, my work is my band (see my signature), my band is taking off in a major way (if you happened to see the Billboard Music Awards last weekend, then you saw my band playing on it), and when a band is taking off almost all roads lead to LA; I imagine (hope!) that we make the move in September. So this to me was a form of homework, something I must read if I'm ever to consider myself a true Angeleno, just like I must read Banham (done) or Inventing Autopia (not yet). And now that I have all this knowledge, I can rest assured that I'll hit the ground running once my band does the inevitable, and it can't come soon enough! (so long Boston!)

--

Finally, I picked up a copy of LA Noire a few days ago and I say to everyone here regardless of age, race, gender, wealth or gaming habits: LA Noire is a must have for anyone who loves this thread.

This is not your typical video game; rather, it's something new and different from what we've come to expect, and I'd say it's more like an interactive movie that also happens to have some traditional video game elements than it is yet another shoot-the-baddies braindrain. Let me also add that I am NOT a gamer, and in fact the last video game I bought was Sim City 4 over six years ago. So I do not make this reccomendation lightly.

I am completely blown away by the story, the acting, the environment, etc. but most of all I'm left feeling like I'm playing something that has the potential (like Wii Sports five years ago) to reel a whole new demographic into gaming. It is a watershed for video games; it is next-generational; it's the future; and it's so much fun, especially for those of us who geek out over Noirish Los Angeles.

So for your sake, GET IT!

Last edited by kznyc2k; May 27, 2012 at 5:26 AM.