View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You ever been in a facility with several meeting rooms? Ever notice how people leave water bottles, papers, etc behind? They quickly become a pig sty if not kept up by someone.
I worked in one, I thought I already went over that...

Quote:
The library should have the type of DVDs available that are generally not available or hard to find at the rental places. Educational, instructional, cultural, etc. But should they have copies of Seinfeld or Cloverfield or any other sort of mindless pop culture entertainment when the place down the street does the same thing?
You're right. They should also get rid of their fiction section, including all of the best sellers. Do you know how many Stephen King, Dean Koontz or Danielle Stelle books Alderney Gate has? In fact, they should also get rid of the entire children's section, since the majority of that you can get at the store down the street as well.

Quote:
Why should the library be offering them -- not for free, but paid for with taxpayer dollars?
Because this is what a library is for. I can go out and buy a set of encyclopedias, I can go out and buy a book on the history of Halifax, I can also go buy the Lord of the Rings (which I just did, so that may not be a good example), but the purpose of the library has always been to bring these and other services to those who either cannot afford, or in the case of borrowed materials, people like myself who don't see the logic in buying a book that I'll read once and never touch again. However I really hope I missed your point there...otherwise the way I interpreted that it sounds like you're calling into question the entire purpose of having libraries.