View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
I kind of like the idea of Streetcars for short distances on slow-moving (<30km/h) urban retail roads, especially when rapid transit isn't (and never will be) an option for the direction of travel. For example:

-Eau Claire-->Mission-->Erlton-->Ramsay-->Inglewood-->zoo-->1st ave (Bridgeland)--> Edmonton Tr-->16th ave/ctr st NCLRT station

Nobody would ever be expected to ride the whole thing, but maybe it would build character in those nearly-connected neighbourhoods like Spiller Rd, 4th St S, and Edmonton Trail. Busses are better for journeys more than about 2 km.
I wonder how those streetcars in Portland are doing? They definitely are only good for short distances and more for mobility than commuting. That's why I'm against the NCLRT being too streetcar like - it has far too far to travel to waste time on Centre Street.

I personally would gladly hop on a streetcar to go short distances(especially if there is a smartcard system), because unlike buses it's obvious where they are going. I would never do the same with a bus though, and I bet I'm not the only one.