Thread: Berlin
View Single Post
Old Posted May 5, 2008, 5:44 PM

thanks grumpy ^^

Quote:
I know that. That's exactly what I said. That's why it doesn't make much sense to look only at the population living within the administrative city limits and claim that Berlin is the 2nd largest city in the EU. The administrative municipality of Berlin covers 892 km² whereas the administrative municipality of Paris covers only 105 km². Within the 892 km² of the administrative municipality of Berlin there live 3,415,742 people. If you take 892 km² of land around Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, there live 7.5 million people within that area. That's more than double the number of people who live in the 892 km² of Berlin. If you take 892 km² of land around the Puerta del Sol in Madrid, there live 4.2 million people within that area. That's 800,000 more than in the 892 km² of Berlin. If you take 892 km² of land around the Acropolis in Athens, there live 3.7 million people within that area. That's 300,000 more than in the 892 km² of Berlin. So are you still sure it makes sense to claim that Berlin is the second largest city in the EU?
Yes, I still think, because it´s the truth, that Berlin is the 2nd largest city in the European Union. It´s not Berlin´s fault that its size is larger than the size of Paris or whatever.
Neither me nor you define the borders of a city. It's upto the cities which areas they count to their population. And in that case Berlin is the 2nd largest city in the European Union.
Using current data, of the ACTUAL Paris administrative minicipality, Athens and Madrid, using THEIR stated A.M size, Berlin is 2nd largest.
That´s the official truth. We could discuss this for years without getting real results. I think that as long as the European Union does not increase the size of Paris, Athens, Madrid and so on you have to accept that city of Berlin is simply larger than Paris is, although more people do leave in the "Greater Paris" area than in "Greater Berlin"

Btw I don´t want you to be angry or something. I don´t think that´s an argument, it´s a discussion. And we both shall be adult enough to discuss without being.. "touched".. whatever..^^

Btw²:
The German word for City is "Großstadt", Town is "Stadt". And here in Germany only the areas within the city borders belong to the City/Großstadt.
What you understand under "city" would be "Verdichtungsraum" or "Metropolregion" in German.