View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Funny, I just put together an investor pitch and used a quote from their COO from a couple months ago.

“Going back to the office with 100% of the people 100% of the time, I think there is zero chance of that,” said Daniel Pinto, co-president and chief operating officer of JP Morgan & Chase Co., in a February interview with CNBC.

https://theticker.org/3585/business/...that.%E2%80%9D

I think we're going to see a lot of back office folks working from home more, or on flexible schedules of 3 days in the office 2 days out kind of thing. No doubt that people looking to accelerate their careers as fast as possible are going to be in the office. Decisions are still going to be made in the boardroom and face time is crucial for building relationships. Still, I've seen multiple institutional tenants who had renewals in the past year give back 10-15% of their office space. We're not going to be flicking a switch and going back to 2019 as soon as everyone is vaccinated.
I agree with some of this, but there definitely large permanent changes that have been made. Maybe for *some* people, they need that face time, but for many many of us, we simply don't need it. Especially for those of us who work with teams across different regions already. This is an ongoing tug-of-war where some larger companies think they are just going to drag everyone back to the office ASAP. What they don't understand is you opened the flood gates, and it's impossible to herd cats back in now. And for those who push hard enough, there will be another company somewhere that will hire them and let them continue to work remotely.

I think anyone who thinks we are magically going back to 2019 office commuting patterns anytime soon is vastly underestimating the permanent lasting changes this pandemic has had.....