View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ yep. no doubt there's some nefarious backroom meeting taking place right now between NW and the city to have prentice sit vacant and unmaintained for some prescribed amount of time until an outside party engineer can come in and deem that it is "too far gone to save", thus paving the way for NW to destroy an unqualified landmark of 20th century genius while saving face in the PR game. we'll get some BS line about how "we made a good faith effort to try and save this important building, but it's just too old and unsafe to reuse".

"the city that works (underhandedly)"
I think this kind or architecture is disgusting and don't like it. Whether it be this, Marina City, River City or those senior housing hive-looking places on the near S Side I think they all look repugnant and I'm not a fan of the movement. I think there is obviously historical significance in Marina City but that's IT.

Why should they be preserved if there is widespread divergence of opinion regarding their aesthetics? I'll be happy if they demolish that fugly prentice hospital and replace it with anything other than a parking lot.