View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:43 PM

Exactly who uses ride-share and why?
Everybody?

A traveler waits to be picked up by a ride-hailing service at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Credit: Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call via Pew Research
  • Addicts taking their daily/weekly ride to/from the clinic
  • Medicare and Medicaid patients going to/from their doctor/clinic or the hospital
In many instances the above rides will be arranged by a third-party payer.
  • Travelers - whether for business or leisure are Big consumers of ride-share. They've found it to be more convenient than renting a car.
  • Women - are more likely to rationalize the cost of ride-share whether for hair reasons or for comfort and security or for time and convenience.
  • People who attend church
  • Just about anybody can occasionally benefit from ride-share. There's a million reasons.
The Working Poor
Lots of retail and service workers, landscapers etc who can't benefit from transit or may be a one-car family where (dad) needs the truck for his business depend on ride-share or friends or both. Others may utilize transit to commute but use ride-share to get groceries, get their hair done etc. In many instances it enables people the freedom (god forbid) to get off the damn couch and go visit a friend or attend a meeting.

More Americans are using ride-hailing apps
JANUARY 4, 2019 BY JINGJING JIANG - Pew Research/FactTank
Quote:
The share of Americans who use ride-hailing services has increased dramatically. Today, 36% of U.S. adults say they have ever used a ride-hailing service such as Uber or Lyft, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted in fall 2018. By comparison, just 15% of Americans said they had used these services in late 2015, and one-third had never heard of ride-hailing before.
This is important
Quote:
Even as the share of Americans who use ride-hailing has grown substantially in recent years, the new survey finds that few adults overall are making these services a part of their regular routine. Only one-in-ten users of ride-hailing services say they use these apps at least weekly, including just 2% who say they use them every day or almost every day.
So according to Pew Research only 2% are using ride-share (almost) daily. The Downtown Denver Partnership's own survey indicated that only 1.5% commuted by Uber/Lyft or Taxi while 40% report using transit. All the controversy and hysteria is a Big Nothing Burger.

It is certainly possible that those who commute using transit my call ride-share if they need to go somewhere, meet somebody during the day.

Note: I couldn't care less about NYC, Boston or San Francisco etc. Bruce Schaller may know NYC but I could do without his varnished with crap "facts".
Pew Research? Yes, now you've got my attention.