View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I think Brandon's point is that people in Chicago don't "respect" the sinister nature of Lake Michigan, while people in SoCal do indeed "respect" the sinister nature of the ocean.

Therefore, people in Chicago continue to fall in and die.

It really sucks living next to a death machine..
lake michigan can certainly be a treacherous body of water at times. no doubt about that.

rip currents on it are notorious because of all the natural sand bar formation, and many people unfortunately drown every summer, all around the lake, not just chicago.

i myself got caught in a rip current as a young child on a really wavy day at gilson beach in wilmette, and if not for my older sister's quick action, i might have been a lake michigan drowning victim too.

it is no joke, the lake must be respected.

that said, the vast majority of drownings on the lake happen to those who can't swim/can't swim well. my own kids have been in swimming lessons for couple years now because i feel strongly that swimming is an absolutely vital life skill that every single able-bodied human should master.