View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
it also happens when planting is immediately followed by a winter that gets down to -35F. dont underestimate the cold we had, there are a LOT stressed/dead trees all over the city this spring, and if it was a sapling without an established root system (or non-native) it was especially vulnerable. sadly it dosent seem like the city is moving fast enough to replace them either. there was a recent WBEZ article which mentioned we've actually lost 100k trees over the past decade and this most recent winter definitely will be exacerbating that. but yea, it seems like every tree the city puts in near downtown is surrounded by concrete and tends to not survive more than 5 years.
Yeah, ash borer didn't do much damage to city trees, they were well treated. However, the ash trees in my neighbors yard along the alley are all dead or half deal and dropping huge branches.

The city is absolutely pathetic about planting trees. The worst part is they are dirt cheap and easy to plant if you get like 3' saplings and they tend to take root more vigorously than a juvinille tree that has had half its root ball cut off so it can be transplanted. The city could easily plant a tree in front of every building in the city for like $1 million if they just did a massive order of 3' saplings from arbor day.

One thing I always do at all my properties is make sure there's a tree planted out front in the parkway. Trees can soak up tremendous amounts of water and, given the torrential rains that seem more and more common here, we need them to drink up every drop they can.