Thread: Second cities
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS View Post
Mhays you're right the Springs has suburbs, but nothing like other stand alone metro areas of peer cities it's size (Tucson, Raleigh, Virginia Beach). It's too dependent upon Denver and just close enough geographically to have developed into it's own significant metro area. In the peer example of Tucson, you see the geographical separation with Phoenix being just far enough that Tucson has a significant suburb network of it's own. Colorado Springs however is the 42nd largest city in the US but only the 79th largest metro area by population. These are the only suburbs in the Springs MSA above 10k people in 2012.

Security-Widefield: 32,882
Fountain: 26,882
Cimarron Hills: 16,161
Fort Carson: 13,813
Black Forest: 13,116
I think you missed his point. The city of Colorado Springs' municipal boundaries stretch far beyond the edge of suburbia in places - so when a new, sprawly, suburban, subdivision is developed out at the edge of suburbia, it's often technically within the city limits of Colorado Springs, even though it's "the suburbs". Other cities (like Denver) are land-locked by suburbs, and can't grow outward so they eventually end up with a smaller proportion of the metro's population.

Colorado Springs: 464,474
Miami: 463,347

Colorado Springs Metro: 723,878
Miami Metro: 6,828,241

Tucson, Raleigh and Virginia Beach are not peer cities of Colorado Springs. They're bigger, higher-profile towns.

(So I guess I don't agree with "every word" of your first post like I originally stated, but I do agree with your main point.)