View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTOKO View Post
I just have one question to ask. What do people find so appealing about Moncton. Unless there are jobs available I can't really see people wanting to move there. No offence but I always thought of Moncton as a giant swamp with a river of shit running through it. Terrible Architecture, Terrible History.. and BORING! Gawd I don't understand the hype so you have a population of 130 thou.. there are 130 thousand people in my neighborhood, that isn't going to fix your cities problems. Sure your doing alright but when it comes down to it your only putting makeup on the Elephant man... please tell me why i'm wrong..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTOKO View Post
We're talking about the city of Moncton here not the surrounding area.......
So...you want to know what is appealing about the City of Moncton, within its limits, but have the ignorance to include the Metro Moncton population stats, which include suburbs of Riverview & Dieppe, and many other small rural areas surrounding Metro Moncton. Make up your mind.

Within Moncton City Limits (your rules): Magic Mountain Water Theme Park, Magnetic Hill Zoo, Capitol Theatre, Moncton Farmers Market, Magnetic Hill (Canada's third most visited natural attraction)and the Tidal Bore.

Moncton and surrounding areas (my rules): All of the above within City limits + Kouchibouguac National Park, Fundy National Park, Bouctouche Dunes, La Pays de la Sagouine, Mary's Point Bird Sanctuary, Cape Enrage, Hopewell Cape (The Rocks), Hillsborough/Salem Railroad, Fort Beasejour & Cape Jourimain.

Those lists depend on what 'joe public' considers an attraction, or amenities that improve the quality of life in a particular city. Personally, I think you would hard pressed to find a City the size of Moncton and area that has more to offer. Hell, I live in Calgary, I and can find more things to do within an hour of Moncton, than an hour of Calgary.

We have had our share of "terrible history" in 1862, when the ship building collpased due to the invent of steam power and steel fabricating, the local economy was crushed. In 1871, Intercolonial Railway brought hope back to the area by moving its headquarters there. Moncton grew steadily until the 1980's when Canadian National Railroad (formerly Intercolonial Railway), moved its maintenance yards to Montreal. Once again, the City was hit hard, but has since recovered, and is above the national growth curve, and now the largest CMA in New Brunswick, so with this, I ask you, whats so terrible about our history of never giving up, and conitnued prosperity thru several hardships? It doesn't sound "terrible" at all.

You are asking for reasons why Moncton is an appealing place to live, and I have provided many. So, can you give me any good reasons why it is not an appealing place? And I'm not talking about general "terrible architecture", "terrible history" or "boring" generalizations. I want tangibles, not lip service just for the sake of it.

Moncton Resurgo!

Sidenote: Is assuming the SJ in SJTOKO means Saint John, inaccurate?

Last edited by MonctonGoldenFlames; Mar 19, 2007 at 8:07 PM.