View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 6:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
I don't think height cuts, let alone converting the entire lot to parkspace is warranted. Nonethless, the pressure to at least provide attractive public space would give something back and show responsibility for the surrounding community.
There is some public space included as part of the proposal. It's possible the developer or Develop NS would be receptive to ideas for getting better use out of it. This is not a popular opinion but I think of Halifax more as a city with poorly used public space than as a city with a shortage of public space. The ball diamonds on the North Common are one example of that.

I think some of the affordability discussion amounts to growing pains although it is true that vacancies are low and the municipality is slow to approve new development. Only a few years ago pretty much every part of Halifax was somewhat affordable. But it's becoming a bigger and more desirable city.

The big blind spot of affordable housing advocates is that they don't question the large areas of detached housing zoning in outer Peninsula neighbourhoods like the West End.