View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I actually really like this idea - but cautiously if that makes sense.

One concern is that it might make the league seem even more "small time" in the larger markets.

And then we end up with a CHL-style situation where the league is in tons of markets big and small across the country, is actually a national leader in bums in seats, but has little to no national visibility.

OTOH, under a hypothetical scenario (if they can pull it off) having 10,000 people at a CFL game in Vaughan, 8,000 people at a CFL game in Mississauga, 9,000 at a CFL game in Oshawa, and 10,000 people at a CFL game at BMO Field in Toronto, all on the same weekend, would arguably be better than having just 15,000 people from the entire GTA at a single Argos game at BMO.
I take your point, but I guess it comes down to the possible benefits of the competing scenarios... is it more realistic to expect the CFL to find a foothold in potential expansion cities and thrive there (the Saskatoon, Halifax, Quebec, type places), or to expect the CFL to roar back in Toronto and play to sellout crowds again? Given that attempts at the latter have been going on for nearly 40 years with little sustained success, you have to wonder if it's time to change things up a bit? In other words, take the pressure off the Toronto franchise a bit.

Unlike the CHL, the CFL has a pretty solid track record with respect to TV. It's not like the networks would suddenly abandon the league if it expanded to smaller markets.

Although I have to wonder if this is all moot right now... I suspect that the CFL must be in the early stages of an existential crisis now.