View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:56 PM

The CFL is designed so that Canadian amateur athletes can play professional football. Interesting fact that not many people know - especially Americans - is gridiron football originated in Canada. Americans will cite a game between Rutgers University and Princeton as the origins of "American Football". The fact is that game was actually a version of Rugby and was nothing like American Football. That might have been the first organized rugby game played in the states - but it wasn't where the modern day gridiron football rules originated. In the late 1800's Canadian and American university each played a game that wasn't quite soccer and wasn't quite rugby. It was developed in England and was never that popular there, but came to both the US and Canada. Over a few decades, the versions in each County evolved quite differently from each other. The American version didn't resemble anything that looked like today's modern American football - But, the Canadian version did. (Yes, the origins of American Football actually come from Canada)
What is thought to be the United States greatest sport was a result of the Americans becoming exposed to the sport when a game was played between Harvard and (I believe) McGill University. The idea was play an intercollegiate game of this English Version of Soccer Rugby (I think the Canadian game was called Football (because of its soccer roots) and the American game was called Boston Soccer or something), but they realized the two versions were completely different. So they either played one game with one half playing one version and the other half playing the other version - or two games each played with different rules. In the end, Harvard preferred the Canadian version because it involved running with the ball and setting up after each play. The Canadian version had downs, the ability pass forward, a "try line", and tackling. The term touchdown came from the Canadian game because once the player successfully made it past the try line, he had to touch the ball down on the ground (like rugby). After that game, the Americans adopted the new rules and the game evolved in different ways in each Country. The 110 yard field was based on a field that was 100 metres.
The CFL has always been a critical institution for Football Canada because it provides a basis for amateur football throughout Canada. The most crucial facet of the CFL is the provisions for Canadian content. Some people may disagree and argue that it makes the game inferior to the US. The fact that it is different than the US game and it allows Canadian content makes it unique and successful - I shouldn't say that's a fact, but it is my opinion.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Last edited by Jasper and one o nin; Sep 29, 2020 at 7:10 PM.