View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2021, 9:59 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The relevant questions are more if we think NB would turn up 0 extra cases by doing 6x the testing (doubtful; do we even know false positives much below 1 in 5,000?) and how much of that is community spread (given that many are contacts and this is on the down-slope of an outbreak with rising vaccination rates and lag in data collection).

It seems more accurate to consider both to be back down near 0 at this point rather than looking at relative rates. If NB had 3 cases and NS had 1 the "clickbait headline" would be over 3x the rate in NB but the better real-world interpretation would be very low risk in both provinces.

If this level of risk aversion were applied last summer the Atlantic provinces never would have done a bubble at all. Back then, none of the most vulnerable people were vaccinated.
I have to admit reading through the previous posts I was laughing to myself a bit, not because any of this is funny, but just because of the juxtaposition of reading the information contained here from my home in Calgary. We haven't had a zero test day since the pandemic started. Be very thankful that the Atlantic governments (all 4 of them) have treated the pandemic very seriously, even if it seems like an over-reaction at times.

We're just coming out of our third wave, and will be wide open for Stampede (I'm convinced Kenny just counted backwards from the start date for the reopening plan), and possibly closed* again in August because of it. We're actually celebrating that we're not the worst anymore (sorry to my sister in Manitoba )

The provinces back home have been handling things very well, it's the rest of Canada that needs to catch up so we can hopefully have full inter-provincial travel again by Christmas.

*I say closed even though Alberta has never seen an actual lockdown, trying to balance the economy and controlling the pandemic, reopening too quickly twice already. The approach Alberta has taken has been a major contributor of both the economic and public health hardships the province has seen during the pandemic, ironically (and tragically) because they tried to find "a balanced response".

Sunday's results (because today's aren't out for Alberta yet):
Nova Scotia - 20 cases (0.3% positivity - 6,157 tests)
Alberta - 391 cases (6.1% positivity - 6,586 tests)
How Alberta's numbers might look with Nova Scotia's zeal (aka population adjusted) - 91 cases, 27,887 tests, 0.3% positivity. (reversed - 86 cases, 1,454 tests, 5.9% positivity if NS had AB's population comparable numbers)
Theoretically to get the same positivity, Alberta would have to do over 130,000 tests/day. (NS would get AB's positivity with 328 tests, theoretically of course)

Be happy you guys don't have to deal with the mess going on here.