View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 9:56 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I noticed that Halifax also has more rain then St. John's which I was surprised to see.
Both have roughly the same precipitation total but there is more snow in St. John's.

Quote:
This happens in St. John's too though, downtown for instance is always several degrees warmer.
Not really. I am not talking about in the downtown, I'm saying that in Halifax there are stations comparable in distance and setting to the one in St. John's - Shearwater is about the same distance away and is an airport, not an urban setting. The heat island effect is similar in many cities but not every city has an airport 30 km outside of the core.

During the coldest months there isn't a huge difference but it's a stretch to say that St. John's is milder. Its high temperatures are only 0.3 degrees warmer in January than at the Halifax airport station and it is slightly colder in December, February (actually the coldest month in St. John's - it is incorrect to take January in St. John's and compare it to the coldest month in other places), and March. The other two Halifax-area stations are warmer every month of the year, which is to be expected since they are significantly farther south.

Some St. John's area: St. John's A, St. John's West CDA.

Some Halifax area: Halifax A, Shearwater, Halifax Citadel.

Quote:
I'vel heard several people say that they find that in Halifax when it's -2, for example, it feels colder then -2 in St. John's for whatever reason.
There's not much way to discuss claims like this.