View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'd have to go back and look again, but I distinctly remember the reason LGA blocks takeoffs on the 31 orientation at JFK is the Runway 4 approach. If you think about it, that make perfect sense, as these orientations cross (as they do on the ground with the existing runways. I don't remember anything about any 13/31 activity at LGA affecting 13/31 activity at JFK.

In point of fact, for this to happen, there'd have to be federal funding involved. That would require legislation, if that can passed, it could probably include a piece to invalidate an environmental challenge.
If you look at the map, the arrival to runway 31 (visual expressway) is very close to JFK airspace, and runway 31 straight out takeoffs would come dangerously close to the arrival path to LGA. Runawy 4 isn't even used very much for landings and it still isn't allowed to have a departure of 31R.

There would be a huge fight and years of courtroom battles. A more efficient solution would be to reconfigure the terminals at JFK and build another runway on existing land. The airfield is bigger than LAX and that has 4 runways in parallel. JFK is just poorly configured and the use of space is poor.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 18, 2014 at 1:14 AM.