View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
A lot of the airspace around NYC is restricted, mostly for military use. They need to open this up. They also need to redesign the ATC system to have more capacity.

Another problem is all the crossing runways (along with crossing approaches.) I'd put LGA and JFK only on the 13-31 orientation, which would have the effect of streamlining the approaches and departures. I'd love to do the same for EWR, but that just isn't happening (even in my imagination.)
First, the military restrictions are less than you imagined; all of it is the conflicts between the three airports, plus Teterboro. They have opened up the airspace quite a bit as a result of the Metroplex plan that was one of the elements of NextGen, but there is no real way to detangle the three airports from each other.

And having the runways go only in one direction isn't happening, as it would reduce rather than increase capacity at the three airports. LGA operates both runways at the same time, and Kennedy uses all four when possible. They're doing about all they can do safely.