View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2021, 2:19 PM

Thanks for the comments.
I’m sure Irvine was pretty boring back then. My reference to Irvine & Newport Beach was more regarding economic & development activity, with lots of development happening in the IBC (Irvine Business Complex), and around the shopping malls of South Coast Plaza & Fashion Island. I knew a few people who worked in Orange County and they typically went to Lido Island & Fashion Island when going out rather than LA. It reminded me of when I lived in New Jersey and lots of the native New Jersey people we met would rarely go into Manhattan.

I recall that Broadway had a lot of businesses catering mostly to the Latin American community, but the majority of the older buildings in the historic downtown were largely vacant above the first floor given lack of reinvestment and that they hadn’t been seismically reinforced. I would have enjoyed walking the district with you back in the day to explore the area. I also recall on one of my visits in the late ‘80s how I was shocked at 3rd Street in dt Santa Monica being riddled with empty storefronts.

ChrisLA: your comment on Westwood Village reminded me of going bar hopping with friends there sometime in the early ‘90s. My LA-based friends could have picked anyplace to meet and Westwood was THE place back then.