Thread: Mineola, NY
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:24 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Thanks for the pictures Boden! My knowledge of Nassau and LI has expanded a bit this past winter due to the many day trips I took over the weekend with my parents. I haven't been to Mineola yet. It will be a cool place to visit.

Not surprised the ChrisLA mentioned that it seemed like a nice place to live. I would imagine that much of metro LA is sort of like Nassau: wave after wave of medium-density towns and villages. For many parts of the country, Mineola might be considered a minor city. But for NYC residents, the many towns and villages in LI, NJ, CT, and upstate are definitely suburbs serving the city.

The north shore is less populated and more wealthy due to (I believe) the land being the traditional home of the wealthy and the robber barons. This may be due to the fact the weather in the north shore is generally far less harsh compared with the south shore (which deals with harsh ocean winds and storms). The south shore was mostly home to fishermen. Jones Beach was basically deserted and populated by a few fishermen plying their trade before Robert Moses noticed it would make a perfect public beach. Even now, I believe the towns in south Nassau are more working class oriented compared with the north.

One final note - one of the pictures shows "The Roast Sandwich House", which is a place I wanted to get lunch one weekend. It's a sandwich mini-chain in LI, but they are never open on Sundays. I guess their primary business is the working hours lunch crowd.