View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I've been looking at wooden mugs, and those are indeed coated with food safe lacquer. Some of them also incorporate metal liners, but that might be harder to do out of a home workshop or makerspace. In any case, a realistic water tower mug would be pretty damn cool, and if I can figure out how to produce them in batches without spending dozens of hours on each individual one, I might be able to sell the things, I'm sure there would be takers.

(When it comes to making individual cosplay props for personal use, time spent on each piece isn't as big of a consideration, you just need the one, and you're not worried about charging a fair price for your time. However, if you want to make copies and sell them, then ease of reproduction and time spent becomes a much bigger concern. You absolutely want to keep production time reasonable- you want to charge fairly for your work, unless you like making minimum wage. But at the same time, you don't want to price yourself right out of the market.)
I'll buy some off you for sure! Awesome idea.

I would get a cad drawing, scale it down and get some square wooden dowels and use a razer blade and ruler to cut all the angles. Line up the dowels and file a couple grooves for the straps. I probably wouldn't line the inside. Just put lots of lacquer.

If you wanted to make a bunch then I would set up jigs and use a table saw. Actually a dremel table saw would be the best I think.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pro...E&gclsrc=aw.ds