View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Seeing these conceptuals of towers spread across the basin without addressing our building codes keeps me from being excited about that many towers... We will continue to end up with boxy floorplans, square-ish towers, shorter heights, and bigger shadows. Jamison Services seems to be the only company to give us some curves with their Circa towers and 2900 wilshire... but these are both rare in that they sit on very large sites. With ever increasing land and construction costs, and developers needing to make a profit, Los Angeles is shooting itself in the foot with our Fat Cores. When there is less amount of land, you best believe they will box out all floor plates in LA and keep an easily repeatable plan all the way up.

I want to see curves, drama, slenderness. The US Bank tower is still my favorite building in LA, the building I dream about. It happens to be a slender-ish/non boxy tower, and we see how it has a more challenging time leasing up space because of that fat core intruding into the circular-ish floorplates. And Ms. Wilshire Grand over there... She WIDE and got curves on two sides!

This is the biggest hinderance IMO to great tower design and proliferation in Los Angeles. I'm passionate about our building codes and am thinking about creating a movement
Is it the fire department alone pushing for these fat cores?