View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Since I am a native French speaker and Québécois culture is very familiar to me, I don't happen to feel I am in a non-Canadian place when in Quebec City. Or Chicoutimi or Rimouski.

Just because the "Canadian" label is discreet or even replaced by a Québécois one doesn't mean that what I am surrounded by is not "of Canada".

If I let my guard down a bit when it comes what I've said in this thread, I'd say places in Anglo-Canada that are highly Americanized generally feel less Canadian to me. Especially ones that are closer to the border.

Sometimes when I am there it feels like a ton of foreign stuff has simply skipped over the border. (I realize that Canada shares a lot of things in common with the U.S. We've discussed that ad nauseam here. But sometimes, especially in some places, the acculturation just seems a bit over the top.)

The "Frenchness" of Quebec City has been alluded to as non-Canadian on here, but to me at least, highly francophone places in Canada don't feel anywhere near as "imported French" as places like Windsor or Niagara feel "imported American".
Quebec City is one of the cradles of what would eventually become modern day Canada. I believe that Toronto is not Toronto, global, multicultural and cosmopolitan, without there first having been a Quebec City.

Unknown to some, Les Canadiens is not an ode to the country but rather to the inhabitants (Habs) of New France that pre-dated confederation.

Most Canadian - Quebec City.

But it really depends on context. If this is about which cities are most "on brand," (aka The World Needs More Canada or whatever) then fine - Least Canadian - Quebec City.

I suppose the city that most demographically represents Canada would most likely be Ottawa.