View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 8:03 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
You keep implying that removing the seedy element and artificially creating a highly educated upper middle-class population will make Vancouver boom-- but that goes against the grain of urban history. Unless Vancouver lives in a symbiotic way off of Portland for the rest of its existence, taking out all the refinement of a well-rounded and character-filled city makes it just another sprawled suburb.
Are you sure Clark Community College students, Hudson's Bay High School students, Hough Elementary School students, Discovery Middle School students, Vancouver Arts School students, all of them nearby or inside the downtown will not go to the largest main library in downtown? I am sorry, I couldn't imagine that.

Quote:
Capitol Hill has its crime (and relatively speaking, it's not much) because it hasn't lost its character, and that same character is what drives up rent and keeps people there for years. Crime happens from time to time, it's just endemic to a vibrant downtown or urban area.
It's depends on who people will go.

Quote:
As far as what Vancouver's doing, I am still not convinced that it will be any kind of urban center in the future, even with these "developments" people keep touting, especially since they effectively eradicate and rebuild, instead of refining and repairing what was there before.
I am sorry, it will. It just will. Today, the downtown's characteristic is the one of Vancouver's big issue right now.

Quote:
And when city officials are saying "no offense, but old people are useless", you know there has to be something wrong with this approach.
Well but I still doubt that the city of Vancouver governments would ever stop investing for elder's homes. Even I would highly doubt they would ever demolish their very first time 15th floor building, Smith Tower.

Quote:
Finally, as little towns with Transit Centers in downtown go, Vancouver had a pretty good one. But I don't expect Vancouver to make intelligent decisions in transit anymore, I really don't. First this, then the bio-diesel idiocy; it's really not going well for you guys.
Hmm, the public transportation system today in Vancouver is not bad at all, as speaking of my experience riding around Vancouver, I don't drive a car.