View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Anything can happen in the playoffs. This year many of the teams who had gone on massive winning streaks during the regular season were out pretty quickly. You want the best players you can get, but even more a team that plays well together. Throwing massive amounts of money at teams doesn't always work, the Mets and Padres are good examples of that.

You just want to get to the playoffs and you need to win a lot of games to do that. Then you need a team that won't fold up once they get there (the Orioles), and you need them to get on a hot streak at the right time while hopefully avoiding injuries with top players. Lots of luck involved for sure.
Yup, which is why it's so hilarious to see teams popping champagne when they win the division and even just making a wildcard spot. Back in the day there were only four playoff spots... for the division winners. It meant a lot more then.

I'm glad the unfancied Rangers won the WS. I loved KC winning (though I didn't like that they beat the Jays) and I loved when the Nats won immediately after Harper left.