Thread: AZ Prop 105
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:20 PM

Rationalize please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX NATIVE 929 View Post
My vote was to keep the definition of marriage as is. Hardly qualifies as shoving my beliefs down your throat. Perhaps you're trying to shove your beliefs down my throat?

If the ballot had asked about civil unions, my vote would be different.

Thanks.
So when Reform Judaism recognizes same sex marriages, you don't think that you are forcing your Christian beliefs on them by supporting this measure? Reform Judaism is the largest Jewish sect in American society.

Just taking it from this tiny aspect of the greater picture, who is forcing their beliefs?

As far as I am aware, in Massachusetts the Catholic church still does not perform same sex marriage so it looks to me as though same-sex marriage is NOT being forced upon individual religious traditions.

There are others too that perform same sex marriages that are NOT recognized by the state. This is a strong argument as far as I am concerned and surprised it is not brought up more often by the proponents of civil equality.

Also, according to wiki : "Several Christian denominations support same-sex marriage and perform same-sex weddings. The three largest are Unitarian Universalists, the United Church of Canada and the United Church of Christ(UCC)."