View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:27 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^^^ Too bad that didn't get built, its more interesting looking.

On another note, this was in the paper today:

Quote:
Gosar, Kirkpatrick join forces for Ariz. copper mine

Deteriorating storefronts speak to the hard economic times Superior has faced since mining fell off in the area. Many leaders and residents say they are hoping Resolution Copper Co. plan to open a mine in the mountains east of town will make Superior thrive again.
Jennifer A. Johnson / Cronkite News Service
SHARE URLEMAILFONT: A A A 7 Comments

By Rebekah L. Sanders
The Republic | azcentral.com
Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 PM
Two Arizona Congress members, once rivals on the campaign trail, announced Thursday they are reintroducing legislation to pave the way for the largest copper mine in North America to be dug under thousands of acres near Superior.

U.S. Reps Paul Gosar, a Republican, and Ann Kirkpatrick, a Democrat, touted the Southeast Arizona Land Exchange and Conservation Act as a major job creator for the state. Gosar blamed Washington bickering for the legislation's failure to pass, despite attempts by four Arizona representatives - including both of them - in the last eight years.

U.S. Sens. Jeff Flake and John McCain, both Republicans from Arizona, planned to introduce identical legislation Thursday in the Senate.

“This bill is a win-win for Arizona and for our nation — it will create over 3,700 high-paying jobs, increase U.S. energy and mineral independence, and preserve some of rural Arizona’s most beautiful natural lands,” Gosar said in a written statement. “The gridlock must end. Congresswoman Kirkpatrick and I will build on last year’s successes in the House, work closely with Senators Flake and McCain in the Senate, and finally get this land exchange across the finish line.”

Kirkpatrick, whose district includes the proposed mine site, also praised the mine’s economic benefits.

“My vision for Arizona is a diversified and stable economy. The Superior mine fits into that vision and is critical to the communities and constituents in my district,” she said in a written statement. “It will provide jobs, economic development and a stronger foundation for their future.”

But she acknowledged longstanding opposition to the mine from American Indian tribes and environmental groups, many of whom contributed to Kirkpatrick’s return to Congress this year. The groups worry the mine will threaten the region’s water supply, harm sacred tribal grounds and destroy land in the Tonto National Forest enjoyed by campers and rock climbers. Opponents question the mine’s job-creation figures.

“I believe their voices should be heard during this process,” Kirkpatrick said. She pledged to represent their concerns while also advancing the project.

Arizona Republican Reps. Matt Salmon, David Schweikert and Trent Franks will be co-sponsors as well. The delegation’s remaining four Democrats had not signed on, including Reps. Ed Pastor and Raúl Grijalva, who voiced strong objections in the past.

Under the bill, Resolution Copper Mining Co. would exchange more than 5,000 acres of environmentally sensitive land the company owns throughout Arizona for about 2,400 acres of federal land in the Oak Flat area, about 70 miles east of Phoenix.

The company, jointly owned by U.K.-based Rio Tinto and Australia’s BHP-Billiton, plans to develop a 7,000-foot-deep mine, opening up the third largest undeveloped copper resource in the world, which officials have said could contribute $61.4 billion to Arizona over the course of its projected 66-year lifetime.

A series of Arizona Congress members have tried to shepherd the land swap since 2005. Kirkpatrick worked on the legislation in 2009, before losing her seat to Gosar in a tough election battle in 2010. With the help of the new GOP majority, Gosar was the first to get the bill to a floor vote and won passage in the House in 2011.

But the legislation became bogged down in the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee and made no progress last year.

Just before Christmas, Resolution Copper announced it would lay off more than 400 mine employees because of congressional delays.

Mine backers hope the new bill will have more success, given the two bipartisan representatives leading the charge and changes in Senate committee leadership. Kirkpatrick returned to Congress this year after redistricting prompted Gosar to move to a different district.
Whats the thoughts of people on this board about the Resolution Copper mine? I'm kind of split on it, I usually have a strong opinion one way or the other ,but can certainly see both sides here.

Obviously even if the economic benefits are half of what the supporters are claiming, thats a big help to AZs weak-ish economy. On the other hand, I hate seeing more of our natural beauty depleted, though I haven't camped/hiked in that area specifically and am unsure of exactly how special it is.

I feel like if I knew Rio Tinto or BHP Billiton was going to set up major offices in Central Phoenix and really create a US corporate HQ sort of thing here, I might be more 'pro' the mine. The feel I get now is a bit of out of country folks swooping in, depleting resources and skipping town.

Thoughts?