View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
OK, I didn't realize this was in a flood zone. Even so, just because people in the area don't currently walk a lot doesn't mean developments shouldn't be designed for pedestrians. This building will house several hundred people, but it's built like a bunker for cars only, with no active uses at the street level and it doesn't even abut the street/sidewalk. It's kind of set back like a fortress. When I visited that area it seemed like there were quite a few people walking around, especially near Rice and the park. Seems like big new residential buildings should be built with pedestrains in mind, otherwise it's just going to be more of the same car-oriented design. If all of those things are within 4 blocks, shouldn't walking be encouraged?
Just my two cents. I've only been to Houston twice so maybe I'm off base.
You can see the walking path on the bayou connected to the garage in the first rendering. The path leads to bridges that takes you to The Medical Center, Rice, and Hermann Park. It's quicker than walking out through the front and having to walk around. You're just adding an extra block and there is really nothing to walk too on that side.