View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
It's not just upgrades they are talking about, most of that earmarked money will be for just maintaining the stadium...there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes to keep all that steel and concrete in tip top shape, and as the stadium ages, more an more repairs will be required.
Sooo. Coors Field is what, 22 years old? Time to start thinking about... replacement?

Ironically, in the orgy of of taxpayers spending billions to subsidize millionaires (baseball players) and billionaires (owners) so many sports palaces have been built that now Coors Field is the 13th oldest in baseball. A stadium newer than Coors Field - Turner Field - was just retired with a new stadium coming on line in Atlanta this year.

I say this tongue in cheek (I think). Coors Field was one of the best done of the new style "old stadiums," is beloved by fans, has had high attendance despite miserable play, and hopefully has another 25 years left (at least).

It wouldn't surprise me if Mile-hi gets tagged for replacement before Coors. Although Invesco was nice enough for its time, by today's NFL standards this frugally-built facility is Section 8 housing. The new standard is billion dollar plus stadiums with retractable roofs and as much gaudy luxury as taxpayers can be persuaded to fund.

Before you laugh, recall the life expectancy of the St. Louis Ram stadium. Built in 1995 to attract the Rams from LA and abandoned in 2016 - 21 years later - because it didn't meet current NFL standards.