View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 10:48 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
When PQ take power in Quebec I hope they kick the lieutenant-governor out of Quebec we will save a couples of millions
You're still going to need someone to exercise the powers that the LG has. You can't combine those with the responsibilities of premier, that much power for a politician is simply unacceptable.

I hate to use Godwin's Law here, but abolishing that position and merging its powers with the Prime Minister is essentially the first step Hitler took on his way to absolute power. Doing the same in Canada won't result in anything near as bad as what he did but I honestly don't think it is in the best interest of any part of the country to have that happen. And I don't think it would be in the best interests of an independent Quebec to unilaterally abolish the monarchy and declare independence from Canada.

We need to develop a process to become a republic but I really don't think it is necessary at the current time. And we've been through this before: Someone had to take that position weather it is an appointed representative of the queen or an elected head of a republic. We're not going to save as much money as you think! It would very likely cost us money in the long run, and we can't afford that right now for so few benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
By looking at the polls, more people want to get rid of the monarchy. I'm guessing the Indian route is of liking?
If Canada gets rid of the monarchy, we'll do it the way we always have: A gradual, civil process that phases it out. No one will be forced away, there will be no conflict or protests. A few years in I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were rudely reminded that we aren't a monarchy anymore when we hold the second presidential election.

Abolishing the monarchy could be as simple as having 11 parliaments with over 1,000 members between them unanimously support an identical bill declaring that we no longer accept the monarchy, and will henceforth be a republic. Good luck! Note that bills altering the monarchy's relationship with the government don't need royal assent. Unlike most bills that must be signed into law by the vice regal on behalf of the monarchy, any bill changing or abolishing the monarchy automatically becomes law as soon as it is passed, without the monarch's input. If we do decide to become a monarchy that way, the royal family would have no legal course to take to maintain that power. We could adopt a different royal family in a similar way, and we can choose a different line of succession than the UK and end up with a different head of state than them at some point, creating a more uniquely Canadian royal family.