View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Its weird to be that they included the Statler and the Madison-Lenox in this. As we know, the Madison-Lenox was illegally demolished by the Ilitches and the Statler was demolished and is now a new City Club Apartments building. Kind of makes me think this graphic has been recycled from previous Ilitch "announcements".

To me, this is just another laughable PR excuse to get Detroiters to continue to believe the Ilitches intend to redevelop their vacant properties and parking lots. Nothing will happen. Maybe, if we're lucky, the Innovation Center might get built with Related's backing. I doubt if anything else will get built or renovated.
Ehh, I think it's less nefarious than that. There aren't a lot of 3D models of downtown Detroit that are up-to-date.

GIS, which is where the data these 3D cityscape models are often from, only updates whenever the local municipality does a survey of the buildings currently there. The last time Detroit did a survey was seemingly around 2001-2002.

From there, whatever entity uses that data to make alterations probably only changes what they need to change to present their ideas and aren't really worried about what buildings are outside of the scope of their focus since that's just extra time consuming work.

As someone who has worked on 3D building models just for modding purposes, if I'm not getting paid to go and and delete and/or remodel buildings unrelated to my employer's main focus, then I'm not touching them.