View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 7:10 PM

I looked up the context for his stance on One Central. This 1 sentence line is so out of context it seems pointless to even write an article about it. He doesn't even say he's for or against it, just that it needs to "maximize community benefits". Here's the full context:

Quote:
Would you proceed with, alter, or cease support for The 78, Lincoln Yards and Michael Reese projects? What about the proposed One Central development?

Lincoln Yards is an area completely surrounded by well-off neighborhoods. The process was completely opaque. There were promises made about a school and a library. While I didn’t agree with the contours of this deal, as mayor, I will ensure that the promised community benefits are actually delivered in a reasonable timeframe.

RE: the 78, I am excited about the potential for the new University of Illinois research labs. There won’t be as much demand for office space as once thought, so we will need to rethink how development takes place: How can we expand the amount of affordable housing that will be offered? How can we create new training and educational opportunities for disadvantaged Chicagoans? How can we better incorporate the voice of nearby residents, and ensure that the Community Advisory Committee has an actual seat at the table, rather than simply paying them lip-service?

The Michael Reese project will bring much-needed investment to Bronzeville. The first phase of the project focuses on new educational institutions and senior housing. These are the types of ideas that, as mayor, I can get behind. But as mayor I would also create new programming so that Chicagoans from all neighborhoods can benefit from the new ARC Innovation Campus, meaning there are educational and training opportunities for Chicagoans at all skill levels. I also want to maximize community benefits for the One Central Development.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/poli...-questionnaire