View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:12 PM

As often happens, I found this building by chance while I was searching the USCDL for something else. Dated 1931, this first picture shows the Fred C Wood Building and car dealership. The sign on the front wall says DeSoto, but the other advertisements are for the new Hudson Greater 8 and Essex Super Six.

USC Digital Library

I thought the building had gone when I typed the address from the USC description into Google Maps and got a parking lot. Then I recognized the building in the background and moved my little Google man a hundred yards south. I won't say I'm crazy about the color scheme or window treatment, but it's still there as the Western Discount Store.

GSV

The second picture in the set shows an empty car lot and a sign for the Pellissier Square Garage (which was fireproof and offered 24 hour service).

USC Digital Library

It turns out that this was the parking lot I found when I first typed in the 808 S Western Avenue address. The structure with the Pellissier Square Garage sign has gone (something was there until about 2005), but the main building remains. It's now known as the IB Plaza.

GSV

This is the last picture in the set, and shows the used car dept.

USC Digital Library

For this one I had to look just around the corner on W 9th Street. This part of the building has had similar treatment to the one on Western, but again appears to be intact otherwise.

GSV

The overhead view seems to suggest a right of way between the garage and the dealership. Looking at Historic Aerials, it has been used for parking since 1948, so did it ever have streetcars running through?

Google Earth