View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
All of the above. Miami is considering expanding their heavy rail system (called MetroRAIL in local parlance), their downtown-centric, elevated, automated people mover small rail service (called MetroMOVER), plus considering a new commuter rail line and additional bus rapid transit routes.

But what's the actual ridership potential to South Beach? MetroMover covers some of the areas with the highest daily use potential, and do tourists to Miami really want to take any form of transit to the beach? Honest question, I just never think if taking a train to a beach myself, and I'm a big rail fan.
From the article linked below :

Miami Dade’s current bus routes from the mainland to the beach have among the highest ridership in the region.
Approximately 14,000 bus riders travel the Macarthur causeway alone each day.
The connection between Downtown Miami and South Beach has long been labeled a priority for a rapid transit connection. The first study was commissioned in 1988.

https://miami-grid.com/2019/02/13/th...f-the-baylink/

The proposed Baylink route has been studied & re-studied for 31 years now.
If 14,000 daily bus riders between South Beach & the mainland doesn't make it it clear that a Metrorail extension is warranted I really don't know what else will.