Thread: Worst skyline
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:02 AM
Beer Stampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamario View Post
This picture is a picture of midtown Phoenix and not its downtown. I think that the midtown looks nice in phoenix but I do agree that downtown is very small compared to cities of the same size such as Philadelphia, Dallas, and Houston. I shake my head in shame everytime I have to go downtown for anything because there's nothing going on in Central Phoenix.

I have never been to Phoenix so it would be kinda of hard to be able to comment too much on it, but one thing that deserves to be mentioned that C@teract Soulj@h kinda of hinted at was the rate that some of these cities have grown. For instance, since 1950, Phoenix has grown from a meager 105,000 to approximately 1.6 million people in just the city alone. Which means there was very little to speak of as far as a traditional downtown is concerned such as the cities in the midwest and out east. At the fast rate Phoenix was (and still is) growing, very little attention was paid to creating an urban center and giving it a suburban like feel once the highrises started to go up. Hopefully in the last few years more has been done to change that down there. I hope to make it down there someday.

Here's a picture that was taken by Don B. that shows a couple of the older buildings prior to 1950 in the foreground.