View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Just read there on the Herald's website that they expect a big labour shortage for skilled construction workers over the next decade or so. Great news for Halifax. Brings the boys back home from Fort McMurray.
That's been predicted for a long time and not just for Nova Scotia; but for all of North America.

So if HRM wants to attract these people back; they had better start thinking about how to make HRM attractive because while some people (like me) would be willing to come home and take the pay loss; many won't.

So they need to think about things like pay, benefits, perks (like compressed work weeks), vacation, etc. Not just the construction industry; but all industries, especially government. Government in Alberta (cities in particular) struggled during the boom to attract and keep people; when oil payed way more. If oil industries move into Halifax; they will set the trend for pay, benefits and perks.

One example with Calgary was the compressed work week schedule. Most employers in Calgary offer you the chance to do compressed work weeks (longer working days, but a day off in a two week cycle; either a Monday or Friday). This has its benefits - there is a lot less traffic on Monday and Fridays; since so many employers offer it and it helps maintain work life balance. The city had no choice but to offer it; because they were loosing staff for pay and benefits of compressed work weeks. I suspect HRM and the province will need to look at the level they pay workers and the perks of the jobs if oil comes to town, because they will scoop up people in bus loads.

Let me just say; I love having a day off every two weeks and fortunately for me; mine falls next week with a holiday on the Monday. So 4 day weekend - cha ching!

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Jul 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM.