Thread: VIA Rail
View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2020, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I think you have the wrong way of thinking here. I agree that cost ballooning is possible, even likely. But it has been the fact that VIA has had to use other companies' equipment until now that has handicapped them. Once they get a line which is owned by them the level of bullshit they have to endure goes down immensely. They can choose to spend money on things that benefit the service without worrying about another operator. And building a fresh line is actually much simpler than upgrading an operating one, especially one owned and operated by someone else.

As for the trains, I don't think there was much controversy with the first batch of trains they just ordered, and they have options to build more. Or, as long as they repeat that same level of competence, they should be able to order different trains about as easily. As long as they're not making some weird special order request (like the Canadian replacement will be), the trains should be essentially off the shelf orders, like if they were ordering a fleet of Ford F150s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's not even an unproven train fleet. Brightline in Florida had the same set in service. Amtrak has the same locomotives in service. The Austrians have the same passenger cars in service. They've proven themselves in service. And in similar climatic conditions.
I agree that this will be a good thing, but, can you name me one project that the federal government has been a part of where the costs did not come in over budget?

Over time, say 10 years, this will prove to have been a good project, regardless of cost overruns.