View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2011, 4:20 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay from Rabbitt Mountain

©polkadotbowtie of Deviant Art

Sorry it's so wide. There are two more highrises to the left, they were cut off. Just slabs, anyway. There
are also a few slabs and elevators behind that hill in the northeast end. The slab on the left there is our
tallest building, but the photo only shows the top half of it, and completely obscures Port Arthur's downtown.
Downtown Fort William is on the right, in the foreground area of the power plant (grey and orange building).

From this angle, if the photo is smaller and not as clear, the elevators look like an impressive skyline.
This is the best location to take a photo of the city. Unlike the Mount McKay lookout (out of frame to
the right), you're closer to the middle of the city, and lower down, so you can make out the buildings
a little better. Mount McKay is too high up and too far from Port Arthur to see "everything". In the past
few years, more houses have been built in the general area. I can see them from my apartment; if I had
a telescope, I could see into them; that's how high up and unobstructed the view is in that area.
I can actually just barely make out my building in that photo.

The other cool thing about this view is that it shows off the geography. You can clearly see the Sleeping
Giant, Pie Island and the Nor'Westers and that Fort William is in a valley.