View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Speaking of the Foy House, both Big Orange Landmarks and Nathan Masters say it was moved from 651 S Figueroa to Wilshire Blvd, then to Witmer Street and on to Carroll Ave, but that's not reflected in the permit:

ladbs

1919, the year before the move:

bigorangelandmarks

625 Witmer St, after 1960:

uscdl

I well remember the Foy residence on Witmer. I used to drive by it often. In later years it was painted a not-unattractive, pale aqua/mint green color with white trim.

1337 Carroll Avenue. The home was moved overnight on Dec 8/9 1992, according to LAT reporting at the time (although wiki pegs it at 1993):

bigorangelandmarks

I wish someone would get around to restoring the porch gingerbread, but I wish a lot of things.

There's also references on several sites that the Foy was LA's first 3-story house. Unless they're counting the basement/crawl space, I don't know where that's coming from.

Anyway, too much conflicting information on the net. Does anyone have any reliable info about a move to Wilshire Blvd? Thx

___
I also remember the Foy House when it was on Witmer. My dad took me by it a few times on the strength of Winter & Gebhard's architecture guide. If I recall you could actually see it from the 110 at one point. I remember it being painted a shade of blue that reminded me of the blue that's frequently used for tarps. Maybe I remember wrong though - I was just a kid.

Also, on the subject of it being moved to Wilshire, would it not be reasonable to guess that it's just been rounded off as 'being moved to Wilshire' because its Witmer location was so close to the Wilshire intersection?