View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:02 AM

Camp McCormick (Hotel Huntington)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
RE: Huntington Hotel, Pasadena

I also found this interesting.

"At the beginning of WW2 as the nation mobilized, all hotel reservations were cancelled, still, the hotel remained open for civilian and military use.
The army's 35th Division used a portion of the hotel as its regional headquarters."

I thought it would be easy-peasy to locate a photo of the 35th Regional Division HQ when it was located at the hotel...but so far I've come up empty.

Camp McCormick (Hotel Huntington)

"The 1 June 1943 edition of the Army of the United States Station List indicates that the Western Defense Command used this hotel for the headquarters
of the Southern California Sector and the Coast Sub-Sector as well as other Western Defense Command. The hotel's history also indicates that the 35th
Infantry Division was headquartered there while attached to the Western Defense Command. Early in the war, the 35th Infantry Division, a Kansas and
Nebraska National Guard unit, was charged with defending Southern California against a possible Japanese attacks or seaborne invasion. The hotel was
returned to its owners in 1945.

While occupied by the Army, additional "Theater of Operations" type of buildings and hutments were added to the hotel that provided housing for 179 enlisted
soldiers and six officers. The Army occupied six acres of the resort's area and spent $472,000.00 in construction costs."

http://www.militarymuseum.org/CpMcCormick.html

Main gate and guard shack.

militarymuseum.org

Hutments used for housing enlisted soldiers.

militarymuseum.org

Members of the Army's Signal Corps manning the hotel's switchboard.

militarymuseum.org

Army cooks in the Hotel Huntington's kitchen.

militarymuseum.org