View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks for chiming in. I guess it's a little different than I thought it was.

For me, I would feel pretty hemmed in if I didn't have the freedom to travel around the province or elsewhere in the Maritimes that a car affords. Nova Scotia has such diverse and interesting areas to visit that are all just an hour or so from Halifax that it's hard to imagine not being able to visit them. Living downtown would not reduce my desire to be able to take a drive along the sea shore, have a nice lunch and walkabout in Lunenburg or buy some fresh fruit and veggies in the valley. Just shows that there are many different ways to live your life, I suppose.
I feel the same way. The thing is, it's cheaper to rent a car once a month (or even twice a month) for those kinds of trips than it is to own a car, with the payments, insurance, and maintenance costs that entails. When I lived in Toronto I'd road trip at least once a month into rural Ontario, and renting was much cheaper than being saddled with my own vehicle.

It's true though, that parking garages in new developments can partly be given over to public parking. Hadn't thought of that.