View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I detect sarcasm, but it is unjustified.

Australian cities have electrified, high frequency suburban networks which have been upgraded into metro-like systems, even if they are technically categorized as conventional railways.
Melbourne's suburban heavy rail network (750,000 boardings per weekday) has similar ridership to Toronto's subway (915,000 boardings per weekday) and Washington's metro (749,000 boardings per weekday), but I don't see how that justifies building a 50km suburban subway line. This suburban subway line by itself will be 3/4 the length of Montreal's entire metro system (1,254,000 boardings per weekday).

Melbourne has a very highly developed suburban rail system. Maybe one of the best in the world. All the more reason to stop building suburban rail and concentrate on the inner city.

There are no crosstown subway/metro lines anywhere in Melbourne, and they decide to build the first one on the outskirts of the urban area, 15-20km from the city centre? Imagine if Toronto built a 50km subway line along Highway 7, or Montreal built one along Boulevard Saint-Martin. I would find that odd, but maybe it's just me.