View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:53 PM

Yeah, I don't know why we're talking about Paris. I've always said, and still contend, that Halifax needs to strive to be the best Halifax that it can be.

Everybody has their own idea of what that should be, but in my eyes it means we should be filling in empty lots with the best, most appropriate architecture that fits the use and location on a case-by-case basis. It also means that we should be preserving the oldest and best examples of buildings/architecture, and in some cases - neighborhoods that best exemplify the character and history of the city.

To define it more aptly, it's time to forget about height limits in the downtown and other visible areas like Robie/Quinpool, etc., and time to put forth greater government control and incentives on preserving and upgrading/restoring our vintage building inventory - specifically targeting those that are 100+ years old but also considering the better examples from more recent decades. And, just in my opinion, require generally higher-quality finishing materials and architecture (I know, very difficult to define and control) on new buildings, especially in high-visibility areas, like the downtown. Of course this would be difficult to manage, but I don't think it's impossible - but perhaps more work than government would be willing to do.

So forget Paris, let's be Halifax, uniquely Halifax, and the best Halifax we can be. Just my