View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 5:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
For sure people forget that Paris level density with very few highrises proportionally, it isn't possible to have it with any (let alone most) land devoted to detached SFHs with front and back yards. Yet many of the people who want the city to remain lowerise make just as much fuss when a low or midrise multi-unit building is proposed for a SFH area.
It depends on the definition of highrise but Paris has a lot of buildings that seem unremarkably tall yet have 12 floors or more. I am talking about stuff like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8604.../data=!3m1!1e3

Paris must have thousands of highrise buildings in total. Then a lot of the Haussmann-era or later historical buildings are 7 or 8 storeys, so about the same height as that one on Brunswick Street that the Heritage Trust is still upset about. The quaint 2-4 storey or detached houses in central Paris are a tiny part of the building stock and incredibly unaffordable, the kind of places that celebrities or rich businesspeople own or $500+ a night boutique hotels.

I also don't understand why conservatism in Paris means anything for Halifax. Paris was one of the largest and richest cities in the world during its 19th century golden age and is packed with global architectural heritage and pristinely preserved blocks. Halifax is a rapidly-growing city with some unique older stuff but already pretty mixed streetscapes. I don't know why you'd want to trap it in amber in 2019. It makes more sense to focus on protecting individual buildings and let the city grow.