View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I've been playing and following soccer for over 40 years. There used to be the stigma that it was the immigrant game and that one day it would get into the mainstream and be much more popular. Despite many strides forward, I think it is still somewhat the immigrant game. But that doesn't necessarily translate to fans, there are still "auld country" snobs who wouldn't be caught dead at a CPL game. When the local product is seen as desirable, that's a real step forward.
I dare say you're correct about immigrants continuing to follow their favourite teams in the old country, but if they still want to get their "fix" of live soccer, then the CPL is the best they can hope for.

I stand by my comment that the CPL is a more doable project for greater Moncton. The Schooners will likely preclude any possibility of a Moncton based team for at least a half century. I will certainly never see it.

Soccer has proven that they can get the fans out to the stadium with the recent FIFA tournaments in the city. A stadium already exists, and will require minimal modifications for the CPL (adding more permanent washrooms and some concessions). There will be a rivalry with the Wanderers. I think they could probably get 2500 out for most games, occasionally more for big games.

There are proponents for the team in the city. Apparently there was an interested investor considering bankrolling a founding franchise in the city when the CPL was getting started, but got cold feet over concerns over the viability of the league.

I think the league has proven that it has some stamina and will be here for the long term. Maybe this investor will reconsider........