View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think the idea of an 'uptown' would work if there was a specific corridor for it. So if Agricola gets some upzoning with more density; then I could see the whole Agricola corridor becoming an uptown kind of concept.

I think that Kempt Road really could become the tall building corridor. That whole area is C-3 under the Peninsula Bylaw, which is basically 'Industrial' Commercial (mainly light industrial/commercial type uses). Those lots right now (by right) can be mixed use since C-3 allows C-2/R-3 uses (commercial at grade and residential above through the angle controls) - so they could convert by right. But then there would be no controls for density, form etc.

I'd like to see that whole corridor be a high building/high density area but have the bonusing system require things like new street trees, wider sidewalks, etc. That way, we can totally recreate the neighbourhood and make it better.
Kempt Road would be better than Agricola--if and when industrial uses get pushed out of the area, it's a clean slate. Agricola already has a unique built form and feel that I'd like to see improved, rather than replaced. Kempt Road is ripe for remaking, however.