View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Again, I think that this is where public policy comes into play, in the form of effective city planning using multiple tools - to actively direct the city's dense, large scale office development to the area that is most easily accessible to the broadest segment of the city's - and region's - population. It's just common sense, and the right policy from economic, social and environmental perspectives.
But that's exactly what's been happening. The largest planned office building in the west loop is 21 stories, 300 ft. East of the Kennedy are the new large scale office towers - 400 to 800ft. If it was the inverse you'd have a case to complain.

As I see it the issue is this: The Chicago Loop is very mature CBD. Once Wolf Point South is built, 130 Franklin and a few parking garages are about all that's left. (Madison and Des Plaines doesn't fit your criteria either). So if no office should be built in the west loop and the Loop is full, what are you suggesting? No more new office space? Or we start knocking down historic buildings?

I see what is happening in the west loop as necessary for downtown Chicago's growth, it's smart growth. And once the west loop is mostly filled in, pressure will again grow for more large towers east of the Kennedy.

To have 800 ft building packed shoulder to shoulder and then nothing but 3 story warehouses just a few blocks away isn't how cities work.