View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Mesa ???? Really? This makes em question how this number is calculated.

its a massive suburb of 400+ thousand people so there are lots of people and businesses who don't even identify as "mesa" residents just suburban phoenix residence/offices.
Mesa baby! My hometown. Numbers are from the ACS, so likely to be as good of information as we're likely to get.

It is funny though to see Mesa on lists like this, and shows the limits of how useful these types of lists can be. Mesa is now the 35th most populous city in the country, with over 500k people, and by my count the most populous suburb in the country. While there has been a little bit of infill here and there, most of that population growth is the never-ending march eastward into newly incorporated desert land. And I'm not aware of any truly notable employers that are contributing to the jobs numbers. The only top employer of note in Mesa is Boeing, and the rest of the top employers in Mesa are schools, government, Walmart, Home Depot, Kroger, and the local healthcare conglomerate Banner. Mesa is not an economic superstar that is outpacing Phoenix metro, as indicated by the fact that Mesa is on both the fastest jobs growth list, and the slowest adults with graduate degrees growth list.