Thread: Flamborough
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:18 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I was replying to the previous poster who, it seemed to me, was advocating only paying property taxes for the specific services you receive: "Why should people living in a rural place pay equal taxes to those living in the inner city? Shouldn't your taxes be based on the services you recieve?" I'm not a big fan of this mentality and I guess ideally, I would prefer if a lot of these services (transit and welfare) were funded exclusively by the province. How do you choose which services you should pay for? What if somebody from Flamborough at some point takes a bus in Hamilton?

I can understand someone moving out to Flamborough and feeling that they are leaving the city behind and should no longer have to pay for all its problems. I don't think that is right, and I'm especially not a fan of people trying to arrange boundaries so they pay less taxes. I don't particularly feel a "connection" to Stoney Creek, or Winona for that matter, but I don't go around complaining about my property taxes being used there.

I understand where brett.electrician was coming from with his post, but the fact is that the people in Flamborough are the ones only wanting to pay for what they use.
I don't agree with that sort of set-up since we're living in a society with societal responsibility.
I would love to end area-rating tomorrow. Flamborough people are the ones who want to keep it.
Rural residents are a different story....the McMansions in Greensville and sprawl in Waterdown are getting a free ride in our current set-up. They've paid hardly anything in taxes (compared with similar areas of Hamilton) for 30 years and STILL pay much lower tax than inner city homes. The city is slowly playing catch-up with them and they are acting like it's the end of the world. That's why some of us are laying into them good and hard. They are whiny, little sucks who deserve it.
Who pays all the new Waterdown servicing?? Who takes care of their sick? Who takes their criminals? Who takes their homeless? Whose roads/parking garages do they use when they go to work? Who comes to their rescue in case of an emergency/police call/major fire/accident etc......

No "hatred" towards Flamborough. Just calling them out on the carpet on all their bullcrap. They contribute almost nothing to this city financially. Why should inner city residents subsidize them at an unfair rate? Again, I don't mind people paying into a pool to support society as a whole, but to subsidize people who choose to live in far-flung suburbs because my money is making it artifically cheap is flat out wrong.