View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 8:41 PM

For context, this building stretches from Princess Street to Queen Street in the N/S direction located in between Sydenham Street and Montreal Street.

Renderings:
Princess streetscape view

Queen streetscape view

Princess entrance with old theatre becoming pedestrian entrance

Queen elevation

4 levels of parking, one underground and three above grade in the back along Queen. First three levels will be taken up by the preserved theatre along the Princess side and by a parking podium on the Queen side.

I'm concerned this will have a negative effect on Queen Street (think of what development has done to Besserer Street in Ottawa for example)... but I don't see how large scale underground parking can be made economical given Kingston's low land values.

That said, parking is quite restricted. Only 132 spaces for 223 units consisting of one and two bedrooms. That makes sense given that it's likely a large number of units will be bought by investors and rented out to university students, and given its highly walkable downtown location (walk score 98), and being less than 300 metres away from the Downtown Transfer Point which is the main transit hub for the entire city.

For comparison, The Edge, which is a U/C apartment project up the street, has 498 bedrooms worth of units and only 144 parking spaces, and it's in a less walkable location (albeit still a decently walkable one).

Public reaction is mostly positive with local business owners enthusiastic about the addition of hundreds of potential customers. NIMBYism against development is pretty minimal in this city (to be fair, probably largely a function of how little there is!) with a pair of 10 story condos a few blocks west passed through city council with almost no opposition. Most people's reactions are similar to mine; cautious approval with some concerns about precedents.